My 1st ever koi pond build - Koi Forum
  • Koi Forum

Come join the conversation

My 1st ever koi pond build

Step-by-step guides to your favourite pond builds
Chris7

My 1st ever koi pond build

Postby Chris7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Hey people, I have been on here for a while but only comment now and again. I read most posts and store all the information in my head as i go along. Some great info around here and some amazing pond buids, pics and people.

I have been researching about a koi pond for several months tbh i have read so much info and stuff that i have forgot the stuff i first started to read up about :D

Anyways this has been a very slow project and i was never in a rush to get things going. I have just been plodding along with bits when i have free time or when i get to where i need to purchase something.

I am really looking forward to getting things done now though. I have been taking pics of the stuff i have been doing here and there. I am putting this thread up to show you all what i have been doing and to get pointers or tips because i don't want to go into stuff if im not sure what im doing. Least if i have this thread here i can ask along the way. Its really something i dont want to be messing up.

Here are a few pics of what i started with and where i am now.

Started with this beautiful set up

I then dug around the edge and put in some small footings.

I then dug out the middle and concreted the footings

I then started to dig out the bottom drain and the hole through to where the filters are going

Im now at this stage where im am trying to put the bottom drain in.

Question, Im guessing this pipe nearest my feet has to be lower than the drain in the middle so the drain runs down hill allowing debris to go down the pipe. When the pipe comes up out of the ground how will the debris go up the pipe ? Is it just small stuff that flows through the water ?
#

As i said this is very slow going so don't expect massive progress in days or weeks lol. But with posts on here and help along the way it will only inspire me to keep it up.

I will post more later about what im actually planning on doing and what im thinking of doing then maybe i can get some advice.

Thanks guys.

Chipmonk
Starting member
Starting member

Re: My 1st ever koi pond build

Postby Chipmonk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Chris, bottom drain pipework should be level, water current carries all the crud to your filter. The faster the water flow the bigger and heavier stuff gets pulled through.

Regards,

Chip

Chris7

Postby Chris7 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Excellent Chip, Thanks.

My plan is to have the pond 2 foot deep and build up 3 feet so it will be around 5 foot deep. Gravity fed into filters i am building myself following a design a you tuber has made.

I need to get the bottom drain in next then brick up around outside, I might even give it a go myself.

Will take pics.

Chris7

Postby Chris7 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Just a follow up and i haven't left this unfinished.

Since the winter last year i left the pond the way it was. I have since got back to building it.

I have dug more out and have the blocks and bricks ready to be laid.

Again no big rush here although i would like to get it finished in time for summer this year to enjoy.

I just need to level the base of the pond a little more and then brick and block up around the pond. I am only looking to go about 10 courses of bricks high. The pond should then be around 5 foot deep, 3 foot in ground and 2 foot out.

I will take some pics of where i am now and keep you guys informed.

I am still contemplating laying the blocks and bricks myself or getting someone in.

Chris7

Postby Chris7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm looking at doing my brickwork around the edge. I've spoken to several people and come up with two ways to do it.

1, lay blocks belly down and brick up on outside

2, lay blocks upright and have a cavity filled with concrete and bricks on the front.

I hope the pics can be seen. I would prefer to do it the way with the blocks upright and a cavity in there, only a small one. But is this way strong enough to hold the water ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG (3.78 MiB) Viewed 367 times
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG (3.7 MiB) Viewed 367 times
IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG (4.26 MiB) Viewed 367 times
IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0827.JPG (4.25 MiB) Viewed 367 times
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG (4.32 MiB) Viewed 367 times

Chris7

Postby Chris7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:34 pm

The blocks used in the picture are just example blocks, There will be concrete blocks laid.

Also i would cut the blocks so they would be half bond.

Just looking for a bit of advice if both ways will be strong enough or i need to do one over the other.

Return to “Your Pond Build”