Koi Forum

Koi Forum is a great way of sharing your knowledge of koi and delving into a huge amount of existing content. Koi Forum is a dynamic, content rich forum with some of the best minds in the business regularly contributing.
Koi team, Jan 2013

Visit Koi Forum now and start the discussion today! Visit Koi Forum now and start the discussion today!

Warning

JFile: :read: Unable to open file: http://koiclassified.com/index.php/categories?format=feed&type=rss

Failed loading XML...
Koi Forum - Search
  • Koi Forum

Come join the conversation

Search found 2595 matches

Go to advanced search

by
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:46 am
Forum: Koi Health
Topic: Koi with mouth fixed open.
Replies: 4
Views: 269

Re: Koi with mouth fixed open.

It's obviously better that any medical procedure should be carried out promptly but, if a jaw has been dislocated, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't try to realign it now. Just bear in mind that, as with all medical procedures, relocation of dislocated bones is best carried out by those who ...
by
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:48 pm
Topic: Karashigoi trouble
Replies: 5
Views: 211

Re: Karashigoi trouble

I wouldn't want this to be my call based on a photograph but if the lump is only on one side and especially if you examine it and it's hard, not soft like normal areas of the body then it's probably a tumour and euthanasia may be the ultimate option. You should try to get someone to make a physical...
by
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm
Topic: Karashigoi trouble
Views: 211

Re: Karashigoi trouble

If the bulge is equal on both sides then it could be egg impaction but it looks unbalanced in the picture which is likely to be a tumour. Have you examined the koi to see whether the bulge is hard or soft? Manky http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/assets/images/autogen/a_manky.jpg Click my banner
by
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 pm
Topic: Koi with mouth fixed open.
Views: 269

Re: Koi with mouth fixed open.

This type of problem is not rare. The treatment required is for the fish to be sedated and the jaw gently manipulated back into position. An inexperienced person can try this to see if it will easily go back into place but if it doesn't easily slip back into place or if there is any resistance do n...
by
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 pm
Forum: Koi Talk
Topic: Ammonia levels
Views: 285

Re: Ammonia levels

I don't believe in "ideal flow rates" for any type of dechlorinator since the level of chlorine/chloramine in tap water supplies varies from area to area and the contact time between the water and the carbon has to be longer at higher levels than at lower levels. The best way to find the ...
by
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:56 am
Topic: Ammonia levels
Views: 285

Re: Ammonia levels

That filtration system should be capable of dealing with 200 grams of food are you sure that your kit is reading correctly? You can check it for a true zero reading by testing a sample of distilled water, deionised water for steam irons, or even bottled water. If the kit proves ok we need a bit mor...
by
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 am
Topic: Treating costia with pottassium
Replies: 3
Views: 216

Re: Treating costia with pottassium

You don't add the same dose rate if it starts to go brown. If you need to add more, you add just enough extra to maintain the colour. If you add another 1.5 grams per 1,000 litres and the remaining potassium permanganate hasn't been completely neutralised by organic debris in the pond then you will...
by
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 pm
Topic: Treating costia with pottassium
Replies: 3
Views: 216

Re: Treating costia with pottassium

The ideal way to dose potassium permanganate is to use an accurately calibrated redox meter and add just enough to achieve a redox value of 450 mV then maintain that value for four hours, adding more if necessary. However, few koi keepers will have accurate redox meters so dosing by volume is the u...
by
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 pm
Forum: Koi Water Quality
Topic: Endless Nitrite Problem
Replies: 2
Views: 260

Re: Endless Nitrite Problem

It goes without saying that the ideal value of nitrite in a koi pond is as near zero as is possible but, in cases where this value temporarily can't be achieved, the maximum tolerable level for nitrite for koi is 0.2 mg/L. Your value is 2½ times that so first priority is to stop feeding and to do w...
by
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:08 pm
Topic: High Nitrite Levels
Views: 184

Re: High Nitrite Levels

The maximum tolerable level for nitrite for koi is 0.2 mg/L so 2.0 mg/L is ten times the maximum tolerable and this is at the level at which it begins to become toxic. Some people say to use salt but this is a sticking plaster that only reduces the uptake of nitrite through the gills and has no eff...
by
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:13 pm
Topic: Anoxic Filter Mature Time
Views: 156

Re: Anoxic Filter Mature Time

Biofilms spread by two means. The bugs divide into two then each of those divide again and so on until they have spread all over the available surface as we often see on time lapse videos of bacterial colony growth. When the available surface is full to capacity the bugs still keep dividing but the...
by
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 am
Topic: Anoxic Filter Mature Time
Views: 156

Re: Anoxic Filter Mature Time

Anoxic filter systems work in a completely different way to conventional filters which basically turn every molecule of ammonia that passes through them into nitrate. As anoxic baskets mature they build up colonies of entirely different bacteria that metabolise ammonia directly and don't produce an...
by
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:02 am
Topic: Activated Carbon Conundrum
Views: 212

Re: Activated Carbon Conundrum

I've answered this question on other forums where you've posted but I'll repeat the answer here for anyone else who may look in and want to know the answer. Granular activated carbon is far better because of the greater surface area available that is available to adsorb chlorine/chloramine. Also, w...
by
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 am
Topic: Fence paint poisoning?
Views: 485

Re: Fence paint poisoning?

The toxic components of paints are very low because of the risks to humans and animals but are chiefly caused by chemicals called polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAH).There are no case studies in fish that I am able to find but it's reasonable to assume that toxicity will be similar to humans and other ...
by
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 pm
Topic: Magazine sign up
Replies: 1
Views: 329

Re: Magazine sign up

It used to be very much worth it but unfortunately Koi Carp magazine is no longer being printed so you won't be able to subscribe.

Manky

Click my banner
by
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:47 pm
Topic: Envii Nitrate Klear - Nitrate Remover Tablets...?
Replies: 17
Views: 850

Re: Envii Nitrate Klear - Nitrate Remover Tablets...?

Thanks for replying to the question Mick, I've been run off my feet over the past week with the National Koi Show. Luke, there are three ways that I know of that can been used to prevent the loss of the cat litter:- Stretch ladies tight across the top of the basket and tie them as Mick described. F...
by
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:48 am

I've answered the points in your email, Luke, My only other comment about spare capacity is that, with any method of biofiltration, there can never be hard and fast rules along the lines of "this much biofilter does that much fish or pond volume or grams of food per day". Every pond circu...
by
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am

I've sent you a PM with my email address. I can't give details of individual cases who have sent me pictures of their installations but there are plenty of examples of users who don't mind their details made public on Kevin Novak's website, especially if you want to spend a few hours (literally) re...
by
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 am

1. I take it you still have mechanical filtration first? Yes, it prevents settlement in the anoxic pond. 2. How long does it take for the bacteria to mature within the laterite... or cat litter... I'm not sure which one it lives on. About the same as a conventional filter. 3. Does the bacteria give...
by
Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I should have added that I try to keep nitrate to as low a level as possible and generally under 10 mg/L. I'd be more successful if my blȯȯdy wife wouldn't keep sneaking out into the garden and hand feeding them prawns and crab sticks all the time :evil: I'm sure she'd feed them cream cakes too if ...

Go to advanced search