Warning

JFile: :read: Unable to open file: http://koiclassified.com/index.php/categories?format=feed&type=rss
pond med - Koi Forum
  • Koi Forum

Come join the conversation

pond med

General discussion about all things Koi
bobs ponds

pond med

Postby bobs ponds » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Just come back of holiday to find one passed away . Fine wen i left no sign of injuries.
? ..is there any treatment i can put in ..? :roll:

Manky Sanke

Re: pond med

Postby Manky Sanke » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 am

Whenever I'm asked to diagnose a problem I invariably give this advice:

Water parameters are the first thing to check when there is a problem. Bad parameters can cause health problems directly or weaken the immune system so that a fish succumbs to a parasite or pathogen it could otherwise have resisted. Even if poor water quality doesn't play a part in initiating the problem, koi have a much better chance of recovering in good water than in bad.

The minimum parameters you should check are pH, ammonia and nitrite.

Nitrate and KH can also give valuable information to help interpreting other parameters. If any water parameter is incorrect then it should be brought to an acceptable value as quickly as possible so as not to unnecessarily delay any medical treatment that may subsequently be needed.

If you could give those values and say if you have recently added a pond treatment, it would be helpful to determine whether the problem has been caused by incorrect or varying water parameters, or some other cause. It would be especially helpful if you could give two sets; as early as you can in the morning and again soon after dark.

bobsponds

Postby bobsponds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:11 pm

bobs ponds wrote:Just come back of holiday to find one passed away . Fine wen i left no sign of injuries.
? ..is there any treatment i can put in ..? :roll:
yy
Manky Sanke wrote:Whenever I'm asked to diagnose a problem I invariably give this advice:

Water parameters are the first thing to check when there is a problem. Bad parameters can cause health problems directly or weaken the immune system so that a fish succumbs to a parasite or pathogen it could otherwise have resisted. Even if poor water quality doesn't play a part in initiating the problem, koi have a much better chance of recovering in good water than in bad.

The minimum parameters you should check are pH, ammonia and nitrite.

Nitrate and KH can also give valuable information to help interpreting other parameters. If any water parameter is incorrect then it should be brought to an acceptable value as quickly as possible so as not to unnecessarily delay any medical treatment that may subsequently be needed.

If you could give those values and say if you have recently added a pond treatment, it would be helpful to determine whether the problem has been caused by incorrect or varying water parameters, or some other cause. It would be especially helpful if you could give two sets; as early as you can in the morning and again soon after dark.

bobsponds

Postby bobsponds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Tested water paramitors..ph was a light yellow colour..started to do wster change.. :?:

Return to “Koi Talk”