• Koi Forum

Come join the conversation

Malachite / formalin help

General discussion about all things Koi
mjtmorgan

Malachite / formalin help

Postby mjtmorgan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi i am new to this forum,
could somebody give me some advice , Looks like i have ichthyobodo . I have been advised to treat with a mixture of Malachite and formalin . The problem i have is i also have orfe in same pond , Formalin states do not use with formalin . Does anyone know if there is anything else i can use which is Orfe friendly
Thank you

Mickyb

Re: Malachite / formalin help

Postby Mickyb » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 pm

I'm assuming you mean White Spot, if so just use the malachite - I have always used it on it's own for White Spot including treating my marine fish - it worked better than all the expensive cures from the shop.

Bungle

Postby Bungle » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:57 am

mjtmorgan - you are incorrect.

White spot is a serious parasite and can kill at high levels.

Formalin is used to kill the parasite, and it basically strips all of the mucus off the koi. If you feel a koi after it has been exposed to formalin it feels as rough as sandpaper...

Malachite is a anti bacteria treatment and it also helps the fish to renew a mucus layer.

Always treat the koi in darkness and treat with formalin first and after 2-3 hours add the malachite. Also, always ensure the UV is turned off as this weakens the treatments.

It is important not to treat in daylight as sunlight breaks down malachite particularly.

IMO (and being a koi keeper for 28 years), Formalin & Malachite is the best treatment for white spot.

Bungle

Bungle

Postby Bungle » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 am

Sorry - meant to say that Mickyb - your post is incorrect

Manky Sanke

Postby Manky Sanke » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Guys, before you go any further, the OP referred to ichthyobodo which is more commonly known as costia.

The correct name for white spot is ichthyophthirius. Preferred treatments are substantially the same with formalin and malachite green being the first choice but full strength FMG isn't safe for orfe.

Salt can be used as a dip for both ichthyobodo (costia) and ichthyophthirius (white spot) but NTLabs do a lower strength FMG that they say is suitable where orfe (or rudd, sterlet or tench) are present. I've never needed to use this so I can't give a personal recommendation but NTLabs are a reputable company who sell full strength FMG and the "special mix" (lower strength??) FMG that they sell as NT labs E X 5 Anti-parasite Treatment.

Read this:
http://www.absolute-koi.com/prod912.html

Mickyb

Postby Mickyb » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Yes I know White spot is a serious problem, have you tried malachite on it's own?
Also my statement that it also cured my marine fish is also correct, that was @ a dosage of 1ml per 10 gals for the 1st 3 days and then the same every other day until it went.
According to the experts all of my fish should be dead.

Return to “Koi Talk”