Warning

JFile: :read: Unable to open file: http://koiclassified.com/index.php/categories?format=feed&type=rss
Filter Recomendations Please? - Koi Forum
  • Koi Forum

Come join the conversation

Filter Recomendations Please?

Getting the water right is fundamental to keeping happy koi. Advice and problems solved.
battmiceter

Filter Recomendations Please?

Postby battmiceter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 pm

I am planning the next pond and wanted some recomendations on a filter please?

I have been told good and bad stories about the nexus filters... I've also been told that multibays are the best if you have the space.

The pond will only be about 8 - 9000 litres, but my koi are big. I have 1 x 22", 3 x 19", 1 x 18", 1 x 17" and 6 smaller fish approx 12"
I also have a 3ft sturgeon and a 2.5ft sturgeon.

I would like to be able to feed at least twice a day.

I have been looking at the kockney koi 20000 with separate vortex...

Would this cope easily mechanically and biologically? Because I want the filter I buy to have plenty of spare capacity, to cope with the fish growing bigger. And maybe some new fish eventually...

I don't really want to be paying out any more than £1.5k for the filter, unless that's unavoidable...

Can any one give me any pointers?

Thanks

Luke

pip895

Re: Filter Recomendations Please?

Postby pip895 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 am

Unless you realy like the "getting your hands dirty" bit and never go on holiday I would stear clear of multi bays. The in filter at the moment is the Drum and some come in at under 1k. These take care of the mechanical side and you then need something like a bioreactor to follow it. You can get combined units but they tend to be expensive - you could make your own out of a multi bay or series of vortexes filled with aerated k1.

Whizzer
Starting member
Starting member

Postby Whizzer » Mon May 01, 2017 7:14 am

How about a bead and sieve set up, they work!

Airlite

Postby Airlite » Thu May 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Like Pip says, I'd steer clear of multi bays. I used to have a very simple, 2 chamber bay set up on my 7000 litre pond which worked well enough at keeping the water parameters in the right ball park but it was a complete pain in the ar$e to keep it on top of the maintenance.

I eventually ditched the brushes and jap matting in favour of anoxic filtration augmented by an oase compact drum filter and I haven't looked back. If you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend a drum filter for your mechanical filtration. There's loads of choice and, although none are particularly cheap, they are superb at what they do! That oase compact premium of mine has an RRP of £1999 almost everywhere you look but I was able to get a good deal (well my mrs actually got me the deal with her excellent negotiating skills as I was buying pipes and all manner of other stuff with it) point is, it's worth haggling! It's got a small footprint (compared to a Nexus) and it looks after itself more or less. Well worth the extra expense in my opinion.

Hope you enjoy the process of choosing the right filter for you. Cheers, M

bakedbeans4t

Postby bakedbeans4t » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Queni-Koi are soon to be selling their 15,000 L/hr drum filter. Might be worth a look if you want to go that route.

Gym Ratz
Starting member
Starting member

Postby Gym Ratz » Sat May 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Drum and anoxic 100%
With regards to the drum you really do get what you pay for. I've had to modify mine in a number of ways as it was all a bit Heath Robinson by design though now it's 500% better after mods; but (at the time) it was half the price of the next best thing, coming in at £1500 so I can't grumble too much. Buying again on a tight budget I'd take a serious look at the "QK22 DRUM FILTER"

Return to “Koi Water Quality”